Sunday, October 26, 2008

He came for the sick

Tonight I was reading the passage in Matthew where Jesus is having dinner with Matthew and other tax collectors and "sinners," and God spoke to me. I read the words, "tax collectors and sinners" but immediately the Spirit translated them, in a way, to read "drug lords and pot heads". And I "saw" in my mind Jesus sitting at that table with the druggies that hang out next door at the park.

The very human part of me wants those "riff raff" types out of our park. I feel disdain for them. But tonight I got to see them as the sick and lost that Jesus came to save. He told the self righteous Pharisees, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I did not come to save the righteous but the sinners."

I think I'll start praying. :)

3 comments:

Emily Edwards said...

Ahhh Jenn! That is so nice that He revealed this to you in a fresh way. It is so much easier sometimes when I am reading certain passages to imagine the picture of how it actually was then, but when I start to apply that to a picture that is comparable and relevant today, it can sometimes be very convicting... as it sounds like you must have felt too. I am thinking of you... XO

Kurt said...

How do you know the pot heads are lost?

Jenn said...

Well, this revelation I think had more to do with giving me an attitude and perspective adjustment than to say that those type of people are always lost (by which I assume you mean, "not saved"). But it is worth asking--if one knows the Lord of glory and is part of His Kingdom, why would they then turn to drugs? They are either really in the dark about who they are in Christ and the abundance of life He gives to those who walk in obedience to Him, or they truly are lost.