Saturday, August 16, 2008

The key to real ministry

But then I am also reminded of Jesus' ministry--he said, "...the Son can do nothing of himself, unless it is something he sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner." Jn 5:19 The Father was guiding Jesus constantly in his earthly ministry, and Jesus acted always in obedience to his Father.

I think we're called to do the same--to always be listening or seeking His guidance in our hearts, and acting in obedience, as opposed to going off on our own and dreaming up ideas for God. I think we are called to listen to Him and seek to know what work He is doing on earth, and then offer ourselves as vessels for that work. And so, when it comes to sowing seed, I want to let the Master Farmer be guiding me to fields He wants to see sown. I think he just wants us willing and walking with Him to whatever end...

2 comments:

- said...

Great post! Realizing that I don't have to dream up ideas for God in my ministry was really freeing. God is already at work. We need to listen and join Him in what He is already doing. What an awesome God we have!
Greg from Faith First Fitness

Emily Edwards said...

Hi Jenn,

Your thoughts really spoke to what God has had on my heart lately. You sort of summarized a handful of thoughts that have been swimming around in my head.

I know that we don't see each other often or talk often, but I want you to know that you are a blessing to me. I love to read your thoughts and insights. Thanks for putting yourself out there and always working towards being all that God is calling you to be. You are a great witness!

XO