Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hardships

Since I wrote last, I have started leaving bags of chips with Bible verses taped to them in the park next door. It made me start to feel differently about the park. There seemed to be a peace there and I thought that perhaps God was moving, speaking to people. But in the last few days it has been hard. The last time I left chips out, I was leaving right as some kind of dangerous looking young men (maybe HS age) showed up. They went to one of the tables I had dropped by and started doing drugs. As I passed them on the way out, I felt afraid.

The next day some people threw a party at the park all day. They had party blowers and were making a ruckus during William's nap, and I was angry. Then they left the park a disaster. I went down and cleaned up what I could. When I came home I didn't lock my car because my gloves had broken and I got frosting on my fingers and didn't want to touch the clicker. Today, our car was found ransacked and all of Kurt's CDs were stolen. And I thought to myself, I am SO done living next to this park!

After the police left this morning, I got to thinking. That officer who took the report puts his life on the line everyday to protect our lives and property. Shouldn't I be willing to lay down my life to offer people eternal life? That's what Jesus did, and I think I am called to no less.

1 comment:

Emily Edwards said...

Holy smokes! That stinks... I am sorry to hear that.

Interesting that you chose this park as a place to reach out to the world, and that the enemy is lashing out so fiercely.

Not only is there evil things going on there, but also there are things going on there that are placing distracting and frustrated thoughts in your head, trying to talk you out of reaching out there.

It seems that if the enemy is fighting so hard to keep you out, all that much more reason to keep pushing toward the goal and not let him win. After all, if our God is for us, who then shall we fear?

The policeman has a baton and a gun, but you have the armor of God. The enemy is much more frightened of that.

Of course, excercising prayer and caution goes without saying... I just think it is very interesting what happened in just a matter of days...