Monday, December 1, 2008

Science fiction Christianity

One more thought spurs off my post of a moment ago--this giving of my body to God sounds truly creepy in a way, though it doesn't feel that way to do it. Its kind of like we are standing side by side here, and I am just letting Him hold my hands to do a task I could not do on my own (only not merely my hands but all of me, even my feelings and desires are ordered by Him as I allow it). Does that make sense? It isn't like what we see in a demon possession where the person is clearly absent from their body and being utterly controlled by another spirit. God does not control us. At any moment we are free to jerk away or take back our hands. So far, He has been gentle and a gentleman. It is a partnership, and we can take the upperhand at any moment we choose.* We lose so much by doing so, for He is more capable and wise and good than we can imagine! But we are free to order our own life and go our own way . He wants to work with us. We're just the silent partner.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

*I edited this a bit after posting because I felt uncomfortable making statements about how God works with us in general, since I have only been attempting this experiment for such a short time. There is evidence in Scripture that He may, at times, override a person's will. But so far it seems clear to me that that is not how He works as a rule, probably the exception. What I sense from Him is that He wants willing participants and will generally leave the unwilling to their own devices.